There is no such thing as the perfect golf gadget, or is there? Well, if you’ve been around the sport for a while, then you probably know that it tends to get pretty TECHNICAL and that’s where the quality of your gadgets can make all the difference. Therefore, in order to plan your on-course strategy and eventually choose the right club for your next swing, Knowing your ranges and distances is KEY!
Back in the day, even experienced golfers had to go through a very time-consuming process to do that, but Today’s rangefinders have made this process easier, faster and more functional for the average Joe. Not all rangefinders are created equal; choosing the right one for you can be quite tricky, but luckily we’re here to help you with that. So without further ado, Here’s a list of what we think are the best golf rangefinders out there:
5. Precision Pro Golf NX7 Pro Laser Rangefinder:
Precision Pro is a fresh company in this industry, and they’ve been having success with their products for a while now. The main Idea was to deliver a premium golf rangefinder that can compete with the big names like the Bushnell Tour V4 but at a fraction of its price and that’s exactly what the NX7 Pro laser rangefinder is all about. This device made it in this list for its aesthetic yet functional design, which allows a steady and secure single hand grip. Operating this Rangefinder is quite simple to learn and get used to (only two buttons control), and most importantly it delivers accurate measures fast which is exactly what every golfer should look for in a Rangefinder. The Precision Pro Golf NX7 is also equipped with “Pulse Vibration” tech which gives you confidence that you are locked-on the right target, i.e., the flag. And a slope feature which can easily be toggled On/Off giving you the freedom to use the NX7 Pro in any golf tournament.
Unlike what many golfers think of the NX7 Pro laser rangefinder’s build quality… it is surprising how durable this thing feels, and that’s because it’s made out of premium materials. However, the real downside for this Rangefinder is the low measuring range compared to other big names (a maximum of 400yd with +/-1 yard accuracy), but that’s expected looking at this device’s features at this relatively low price.
- Pulse Vibration Technology (great when aiming at overlapped targets).
- Delivers accurate measures fast.
- A Fantastic price for the high-quality
- Aesthetic design and nice ergonomics allowing a comfortable grip.
- 6x magnifications for a clear through-the-scope image.
- Slope feature (easily adjustable On/Off).
- Can be used legally in tournaments (while toggling the slope feature off).
- Waterproof (can perform under rainy weather conditions).
- Comes with a two-year warranty, a manual, a 3-volt battery and a premium carrying case
- Relatively low measuring range.
- Can give false measures if not held right.
- Lacks advanced stabilization technologies.
After the TecTecTec PRO500’s huge success as a very efficient yet affordable rangefinder, TecTecTec dropped a new product in the market, and it’s been getting a lot of attention lately, the VPRO DLX. This new laser Rangefinder is yet another affordable rangefinder by TecTecTec. It has a medium measuring range (up to 600 yards), a highly sensitive Pinseeker to measure accurate distances of overlapped objects. It has a continuous scanning mode updating you with measures as you navigate your rangefinder across the course and helping you the most when checking the distance to hazards.
Just like PRO500 rangefinder, The VPRO DLX has a well balanced compact design with a light ( but not too light) weight allowing you to operate it with full accuracy using one hand comfortably, and easily carry it around the course.
Finally, we think that the TecTecTec VPRO DLX is a very affordable choice for amateur and intermediate golfers who are looking for a solid Rangefinder that would stick around for the next few years.
- Very simple to operate (only two buttons).
- FLAGSEEKER Technology: allowing more accuracy when measuring to a flag with multiple objects in the background).
- Smart and compact design with nice ergonomics to it, allowing a comfortable and steady grip.
- Comes in multiple colorways.
- Has a very clear through-the-lens display.
- Very affordable price.
- Authorized in any golf tournaments (no slope function).
- Great customer service (as stated by many users).
- Auto power-off feature to maintain battery life.
- Comes with a rechargeable CR2 lithium ion battery, a cleaning cloth, a manual, two years warranty and a premium carrying pouch.
- Small measuring range compared to more expensive brands.
- Has no slope function.
- Has a Slightly higher price than the previous
- Some users stated that they’re having difficulties trying to hold steady while aiming.
N°3 on our list is a Rangefinder from the famous company Nikon, which is well known for leading and specializing in the optics/imaging products industry. Through their line of laser rangefinders, they managed to deliver stability, speed, accuracy and smooth performance, and The Nikon Coolshot 80 VR & 80i VR are no exception. Nikon majorly upgraded their predecessor’s models (40 & 40i) by increasing their maximum measurement distance to a flagstick and implementing new technologies such as the “LOCKED ON” technology, VR (vibration reduction system), the Hyper Read technology and many others.
In other words, Nikon created a rangefinder that is almost error free, simple to use and provides accurate results fast without having to sacrifice functional features like its relatively lightweight, and overall portability.
- Wide measurement range (8 – 1,000 yd).
- Compact in size and very light to carry.
- Has first target priority mode and “locked on” technology (comes in handy when measuring to a flagstick with trees/woods in the background).
- Offers Smooth and very stable measures (thanks to the VR function).
- Multilayer-coated 6x HQ finder (brighter and clearer image with a Diopter adjustment ring for the focus feature).
- Nikon’s exclusive hyper read technology (fast and stable displays even at the farthest targets).
- Single and continuous measurement mode.
- Water/rain proof.
– The rangefinder’s color can fade easily over time.
– Diopter adjustment ring in the back feels very stiff.
– The slope modes can be difficult to change (the Manuel is not very clear on this point).
– Not the most affordable Rangefinder out there.(yet experienced golfers agree that it’s well worth its price).
2. Bushnell Tour V4 JOLT Golf Laser Limited Edition Rangefinder
Replacing and updating the old famous Tour V3, the new Bushnell Tour V4 JOLT laser Rangefinder has brought some promising features to the game. The famous Rangefinder company has significantly extended their product’s measurement range, speeded up its focusing process and reduced the gadget’s size and weight by 30% allowing it to sit and fit easily in one hand.
They also implemented simple operation controls, allowing you to adjust the focus and fire the laser with the same finger for a much smoother and functional experience. The long-awaited V4 JOLT GOLF Laser rangefinder (limited edition) comes with a much faster distance display for a quick call-to-action during your play.
Bushnell also equipped their new model with Pinseeker and JOLT technology, which helps the player confirm that the laser is locked-on the right target through short vibrating pulses and this feature has been making a lot of players extremely happy knowing that they’re on target every single time.
Looking at all these improvements, golfers at first questioned this gadget’s performance due to its compact size, but they soon came to realize how functional and accurate this gadget can be. The “Stabi-grip” tech on the V4 Jolt Golf rangefinder body allows a stronger grip, more stability and less effort allowing you to focus more on your measures and ranges and eventually choosing the right club for your next swing.
- A wide range of (5 – 1000yd).
- Compact in size (easily fit in a one hand/pocket).
- Ergonomic design with the Stabi-grip tech (ensures a comfortable and secure grip).
- Fast focus system with a Multi-coated HD optics and 5X magnification for a clear/sharp vision.
- Reinforced Laser lock-on-target feature with the Pin seeker/JOLT technology.
- Comes with a manual, two years warranty, a durable V3 battery, a premium case.
- Suited for amateurs and advanced players.
- Authorized for use in tournaments (slope-disabled) and is pro-certified.
- Water resistant.
- Very Affordable price.
- Toggling the slope option on/off can be tricky and time consuming for first-timers.
- The focus toggle is quite stiff.
We gave the TecTecTec Pro500 first position on our list for one simple yet solid reason: AFFORDABLE VERSATILITY! It may not have the widest range out there, but it definitely does the job just right. Measuring targets up to 550 yards, this premium device can provide clear, accurate and fast reads with 1-yard accuracy even for overlapped subjects (golf flags, hazards and wooded areas) all thanks to the Pinsensor technology and the 6X clarification feature ( most rangefinders have an X5 clarification). The TecTecTec PRO500 golf rangefinder is also perfectly light weighted and comes in a compact size, meaning that you can easily use it with one hand and also store it in your pocket while moving around.
Another thing worth mentioning is that the lightweight of this device does not affect its accuracy in any way and the multi-layered optics allows easy and clear readings in different lighting conditions.
That being said, the PRO500 rangefinder is dust/waterproof and is also made out of premium materials, making it very durable even if operated under harsh weather conditions and Unlike other rangefinders with similar features, the TecTecTec PRO500 rangefinder won’t cost you a fortune. The last thing to point out is this company’s great customer service, they are very responsive and cooperative regarding technical guidance and also refunds.
- Lightweight and compact in size.
- Massive customer-base with a five stars rating on Amazon.
- Pinsensor technology with high pinpoint precision.
- Dust/water resistant.
- Excellent clarity (6x magnification).
- Easy to carry around and to store.
- Provides fast and accurate measurement (1-yard accuracy).
- Trio modes (3 modes to choose from when measuring to multiple overlapped targets).
- Multilayered optics.
- Comes with a two-year warranty, a premium carrying pouch, a manual, a CR2 battery, a strap and a microfiber cleaning cloth
- To get the slope model, you’ll have to pay for an extra 30$.
- Not as durable as other expensive Rangefinders.
- Comes in one black colorway.
- Battery is not rechargeable.
What should you look for in a rangefinder?
Even though this process is purely based on personal preferences, there are many key factors that you should pay attention to when in search of your first/next rangefinder:
- Compact Size, Ideal weight and
- Steady performance, speed and
- Clear through-the-scope vision.
- The focusing system.
- Water and dust resistance.
- Slope feature (and the ability to toggle it ON/OFF).
- Validation/authorization for use in tournaments
Whether you’re an advanced player looking for a solid device to keep up with your progress or you’re somebody who’s just starting out and searching for his first Golf Rangefinder, we believe that what you are looking for is definitely on this list.